Three weeks in to living at the new apartment and I'm about 75% settled with plenty of ideas brewing to get through the final steps... which I'm quite certain will actually take a few months. This past week wasn't exceptionally productive but I did get a lot of sorting done and finished a fun small project while avoiding building the drawers for my bed frame. Which leads me to procrastination... I'm well honed in this skill and can find a million and one ways to avoid things that I don't want to do because they are tedious, difficult or just plain annoying. The drawers are my Everest and will eventually be conquered (there's a problem with the brackets that need to be dealt with...) but in the meantime I have plenty of other things to do like make a new set of switch plate covers!
Affordable and effective upgrade that took only a day to complete. After seeing lots of different creative approaches on this kind of project I figured I'd give it a go. Picked up some plain white switch covers from the local big box store and a couple more cans of spray paint. I already had some washi tape of different widths that I could use and got started!
First up - apply first few strips of tape and create a spray painting container! With all the boxes broken down from the move I have ample options for this. It was also quite windy outside so I figured a smaller box would do for this half dozen.
There was no pattern or reasoning behind where the tape was placed and I had no idea how this would all look after all the layers would be done. The only consistency I was working with was which colour would be which layer. First up - used the aged bronze that was used on the door/drawer pulls in the kitchen. Next, bright blue and finished with shiny metallic gold.
As it turned out I did not take pictures of the last two steps... sigh. Happily though, the end results show the effect. They are all similar but different and I love them!
Now, there was still the task of removing the old plates and replacing them with these shiny new ones... This didn't take long but the cleaning/wiping around the switch totally grossed me out. Clearly, this has never been done before and as an apartment that has had a variety of tenants in the +40 years... many of which were apparently smokers... I had my work cut out for me. So I grabbed out a J-cloth, dampened it with some vinegar/essential oil cleaner and got to wiping!
Well that's that. Relatively quick, very simple and the final effect is great! Now to beat down the procrastination for this week's tasks list and eat the toad first - aka build those damn drawers and get my bedroom in order.